Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The 10 Plant Plan

In every yard you can find edible wild plants growing naturally. I decided to see what I could find in my yard that was edible. The most common wild plant in my lawn is the dandelion. Sheeple everywhere walk on this free food and freak out when they see it show up in their immaculately manicured lawns. Not me, I just smile and see it as a future food source.

Everyone should identify at least 10 wild foods sources easily recognizable in their geographical location. (Put these in your survival bible!!)

Here's what's in my yard:
Amaranth
Blackberry
Burdock
Common Sow Thistle
Chicory
Clover
Curly Dock
Dandelion
Lamb's-Quarters
Mullein
Plantain (Broad/Narrow leaf)

Quite a variety and I suspect there are more that I am not familiar with yet.

On the next excursion to my shooting area, I will be foraging for the following plants:
Cattail Shoots
Nettles
Chickweed
Fiddle Head Fern (Ostrich Fern)

The fiddle head will only be available for a short time in the spring. You want to harvest it before the tops uncurl.

Later this summer:
Cattail Flower head (green, not brown)
Cattail Pollen (late summer)
Wild Rose (hips)
Purslane
Blackberry
Huckleberry
Salmonberry

Later this Fall:
Chantrelle Mushroom
Chicken of the Woods Mushroom
Oyster Mushroom
Field Mushroom
Puff Ball Mushroom
Cattail Roots (Rhizomes)

If you are not familiar with these plants, see if you can find a class in your area that specializes in edible wild plants. Take a field guide with you that has color photos in it to help in identification. If you are not sure, take a sample to an expert. Never eat something without positively identifying it.
Follow good harvesting practices by not picking all the plants. Leave something to replenish the area.

Here is a good source of information on wild foods as well as color pictures of them.

4 comments:

  1. Good list and thank you for wildman's link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and your welcome.

    My main purpose in writing this blog is to help others by sharing info and experience I have gathered over the years.

    Plus, its fun.

    Every positive comment is like making a new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At anytime the stalk is green if you pull a cattail out of the ground there is a white tuber from the root up about 4 - 6 inches of the stalk that can be eaten anytime the plant is green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cattail has edible parts all year round. I look at it as the Wal-Mart of the wild since it has so many uses.

    Shhh, don't tell anyone, more for us! ;)

    ReplyDelete