Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Storage Food Recipe

Ok, you have been waiting in dread of it, the inevitable "Recipe Post". Well, wait no longer. Here it is for your enjoyment!

Someone else has probably already done this, but since I haven't seen it anywhere else, I'll go ahead and post it here.

Appetite fatigue is something one must face when your storage foods lack variety. So gathering recipes that utilize the contents of your food storage program is a must do.

Here is a recipe I concocted that passed the kid test.

They ate it.

All of it.

In one evening.

I only got one bowl myself.

1 package of black beans (any bean will do)
1 medium chopped onion. Dehydrated will work also.
¼ cup bacon. This was left over from breakfast. The kids said that it was too hard to eat as they were a bit overcooked.
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 cup white rice
Ham soup base to taste

I tossed the beans into my 4 qt. crock-pot and cooked for 3 hours on high. I then drained the water and added more water to about 2” below the top of the crock-pot. If you pre-soak the beans overnight you can skip this and go straight to the next step.

I cooked it until the beans were getting soft and then added the rice. Be sure to add enough water to bring it to almost the top of the pot. Now add the ham soup base to your taste and let it simmer for awhile until the rice is done. I found that the overcooked bacon was now rehydrated and was very tasty.

The rice thickened the soup up until it was like a thick porridge. If you don’t like thick soups, remove some and put it in a container to add back later. Add more hot water, a 1/2 cup at a time until you get the consistency that you like. You may need to add a little more soup base to restore the flavor to your taste.

If you don’t have bacon to add, any meat source will do. Meat however is not required, as this combination is a complete protein. It just "spices" it up a bit.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I gotta make that dreaded store run tomorrow in fact and will have this in my back pocket. I'm a pretty big man and sounds like great 'man food ' lol.

    I like all the ingedients you have listed here. I'll let you know how mine turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably substitute canned chicken, broth and chicken soup base for the ham and bacon ingredients. That was going to be my next test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good deal,..its always hard to get kids to eat unless its their favorite junk food!
    We try to fix SHTF types of meals at least twice a week just to get everybody used to it,...its hard to change over all at once,...most folks system will revolt.

    Also,...stock up on bullion cubes for times when no real meat is available

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. Making decent stored food meals is something I am struggling with as of now. Bacon helps make stuff good.

    ReplyDelete